Day Service at the Headway Derby Brain Injury Hub
The Headway Derby Brain Injury Hub offers activities and care to people with an acquired brain injury. It benefits individuals through the range of rehabilitative and support opportunities provided. Headway Centre is situated at 14 George Street, Derby and is open on Tuesdays and Fridays from 10.15am to 3.00pm. The Headway Centre provides an interesting timetable of activities to help our members:
- Gain an increased understanding of how brain injury has affected themselves and their families.
- Regain confidence and self-esteem.
- Develop and improve cognitive skills including memory, concentration, information processing, forward planning and understanding commands and instructions.
- Develop and improve physical skills including co-ordination and balance.
- Increase independence and reduce social isolation.
- Improve communication skills.
- Develop social skills, including recognising other people’s needs, taking turns, listening and making yourself understood.
- Improve personal care and self-care.
Activities include crafts, art, drama, cooking, music groups, computing and the internet, discussion groups and exercise groups. We have games such as dominoes, card games, scrabble etc. The Headway Centre also provides a great opportunity for peer interaction, and to learn from those who have experienced similar problems. Some members may attend the Headway Centre for a few months, others may continue to attend for several years. It all depends on individual needs and choice.